Moong Dal Khichdi is a complete wholesome meal itself. This recipe is gluten-free. You can also make it vegan by replacing clarified butter(ghee) with oil.
It is a nutritious meal prepared with rice (khichdi) and moong lentils. It is very easy to make recipe, even if you are a beginner and don’t know anything about cooking.
Moong dal Khichdi is one of the best nutritious food loved by small kids and is best suitable for them.
You may also like:
Here are some of the equipment you can use:
Moong Dal Khichdi RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
Healthy Moong Dal Khichdi
1/2 cup rice
1/2 cup moong dal
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon hing powder, also known as asafoetida
1 teaspoon ghee
1 teaspoon oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1/4 cup green peas
salt, to taste
- Take 1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup moong dal in a bowl.
- Soak it in enough water for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, drain the water and set aside.
- Add the rice and dal to a pressure cooker and add around 3.5 to 4 cups water.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and asafoetida and pressure cook on high heat for 5-whistles.
- The rice and dal will cook and be very soft and mushy, set aside.
- To another pan on medium heat, add ghee and oil. You may use only oil to keep it vegan.
- Once the oil & ghee is hot, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Wait till cumin seeds start sizzling and mustard seeds pop up.
- Add chopped ginger and green chilli. Saute for 30 seconds or so or till the ginger starts turning light golden brown in colour.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green peas. Cook for 2 minutes, you don’t want the tomatoes to get too mushy.
- Add the cooked rice and dal to the pan.
- Mix till well combined, add salt and adjust to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve the moong dal khichdi with some extra ghee on top. Also, it’s usually served with some papad, achar (pickle) and yoghurt on the side.
Our Top 4 Main Course Recipes
Prawn Pulao Recipe
Prawns Pulao is the basic rich recipe made often in most of the Indian homes. Prawns are the favorite amongst all of us. A simple and easy prawn pulao makes for a great lunch box option. I hope you enjoy this delicious Prawns Pulao recipe as much as I do. Read More
Malai Kofta Recipe
Malai Kofta Recipe is one of the very popular India vegetarian recipes. Made of paneer and potato balls dunked in delicious gravy or can be served as kababs. What is Malai Kofta? Malai means heavy cream and Koftas are nothing but meatballs. Traditionally Malai kofta curry is made from meatballs instead of paneer or potato Read More
Afghani Tandoori Chicken
Known for a lip-smacking and flavourful dish. Afghani cuisine always has us wanting for more. This recipe of Afghani chicken is no different. Chicken glazed with distinctive ingredients and grilled. Pune is heaven for Tandoori lovers. Read More
Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Dana) Khichdi
Today’s recipe is for those who like Fenugreek (Methi) instead of vegetables in their meals. It is a nutritious meal prepared with Fenugreek seeds and rice (khichdi). It is very easy to make the recipe, even if you are a beginner and don’t know anything about cooking. Read More