Chocolate Croissants or Pain au chocolat in French, literally a chocolate bread. Also known as chocolatine in the southwest part of France and in Canada.
Chocolate Croissants is a type of viennoiserie sweet roll consisting of a cuboid-shaped piece of yeast-leavened laminated dough. It is similar in texture to a puff pastry, with one or two pieces of dark chocolate in the center. Croissants are very popular and sold in French Bakeries and supermarkets.
Here are some of the equipment you can use:
Chocolate Croissants Recipe
Chocolate Croissants RecipeCourse: Cakes & BakesCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Difficult
Extra flaky and buttery homemade chocolate croissants (Pain au Chocolat) are incredible warm from the oven. Recreate this French bakery classic at home!
- For the dough
2 1/2 tsps dry yeast
1/4 cup +3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
- For butter
1 cup cold butter
2 tbsp flour
- For egg wash
1 tsp water
Feta cheese or chocolate chips
- In a bowl add 1/4 cup warmed up milk and add yeast to it. Stir it and wait for 5 minutes until it foams up. Then add sugar and rest of the milk(which should be cold) and mix. Add 2 cups of flour and salt to it and mix. To it add remaining flour 1/4 cup or more until the dough becomes soft.
- Transfer it to a floured surface and knead it for 2 minutes until the dough becomes soft.
- Transfer it to a plate covered with flour or cover it with plastic cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Now let’s move on to the important ingredient butter. Butter make sure butter is only slightly softened. In a bowl add the butter and beat until smooth or soften with your hands. To that add the flour and beat until smooth. Transfer it to a plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin roll it into a large around 10×4 rectangle chill it with flour.
- Now take the dough from the fridge and transfer it to floured surface. Roll the dough to a rectangle.
- Place the chilled butter in centre and fold the sides.
- Roll it into a 17x9 inch rectangle. Fold the left thirds of the dough towards the centre and the right thirds towards the centre. You will end up with 6x9 inch high. Hit it again with the rolling bin and cover with plastic wrap and chill it for 1/2 an hour. Repeat this process 4 to 5 times.
- Chill the dough for 2 hours or overnight.
- Next day Cut the dough into to 2 parts. Roll the dough to as wide as possible.
- Cut it into triangles. Take one triangle at a time and starting with base of the triangle. place a piece of feta cheese or chocolate chips and Gently roll it up to the tip. Repeat with all the triangles.
- Transfer the rolled out croissants to a lined baking tray and brush them with egg wash.
- Let them sit for 1 hour. Repeat brushing with egg wash and bake in 200 C preheated oven for 15 – 25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Let them cool a bit before serving
Our Top 4 Snacks & Starter Recipes
This Mangalorean style Biscuit Roti could be a fast and traditional tea time snack. The biscuit rotis are typically a crisp puri stuffed in with spicy and delicious stuffing. Biscuit roti is puffed up puris of plain flour (maida) with a layer of seasoned semolina filling. The same as the kachoris of North India. Read More
Known for a lip-smacking and flavourful dish. Afghani cuisine always has us wanting for more. This recipe of Afghani chicken is no different. Chicken glazed with distinctive ingredients and grilled. Pune is heaven for Tandoori lovers. Read More
Today we are going to see Chocolate Sandwich but before that let us see what a great personality said something about chocolate! “Without pain, how could we know joy?’ Read More
This is a very simple and easy to make eggless Nankhatai recipe. Basically is a popular teatime shortbread biscuits prepared with all-purpose flour in India. The word Nankhatai comes from a Persian word Naan meaning bread and Khatai from an Afghan word meaning Biscuits. Read More
Date and Walnut cake – Dates and Walnuts are the most loved among us and have a nutritious profile. They are actually really good for you and they give a very delicious flavor to baked foods. The date calls for walnut which gives you a bit crunch with every slice of the cake. Read more