Malai Kofta Recipe is one of the very popular India vegetarian recipes. Made of paneer and potato balls dunked in delicious gravy or can be served as kababs.
What is Malai Kofta?
Malai means heavy cream and Koftas are nothing but meatballs.
Traditionally Malai kofta curry is made from meatballs instead of paneer or potato. But here I am sharing with you the vegetarian version.
There are many variants of malai kofta recipe:
Like one of which is the North Indian version and also the Mughalai version. Today’s recipe is North Indian style where it has red-brownish gravy. The Mughalai style has mild, slightly sweet, aromatic white gravy.
Malai Kofta is a rich dish. So you can make this recipe on special occasions for special guests.
If you are looking for more main course recipes like this here are some:
Here are some of the equipment you can use:
Malai Kofta RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Difficult
Delicious Restaurant Style Malai Kofta Recipe:
200 gms Cottage Cheese (Paneer)
100 gms Potatoes, boiled
2 Nos Green chilli, chopped
Salt to taste
1/8 tsp white pepper powder
2 Tbsp Cornflour
1 Tbsp Flour
- For the Stuffing
2 Tbsp Khoya
1 Tbsp Paneer, mashed
10 gms Cashewnut, chopped
10 gms Almonds, chopped
10 gms Raisins, chopped
Few drops of saffron dissolved in milk
Salt to taste
1/8 Tsp Green cardamom powder
Oil to deep fry
- For the Gravy
100 ml Oil
½ Tsp Black Cumin(Shahi Jeera)
1 No.Green chilli, seedless, juliennes
3 gms Ginger juliennes
100 gms Onion paste
50 gms Tomato puree
Salt to taste
1/8 Tsp White pepper powder
1/8 Tsp Sugar
¼ Tsp Garam Masala
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Tbsp Cream
Water, as required
- For the Paste
60 gms Almonds, blanched, soaked
20 gms Poppy seeds, soaked
- For the Garnish
1 Tsp Almond flakes
1 Tbsp Khoya, grated
1 Tsp Saffron (dissolved in milk)
1 Tsp Cream
1 sprig of coriander
- Grate the boiled potatoes and mash the paneer.
- Combine all ingredients of stuffing and mix well. Keep aside.
- In a blender, combine soaked almonds and poppy seeds and using very little water make a fine paste. Remove in a bowl and keep aside.
- In a bowl combine mashed potato, paneer, corn flour, flour, salt, white pepper powder and green chilies.
- Knead the mixture and divide it into equal size portions of 15-20 grams. Flatten each portion between the palms and stuff them with a teaspoon of stuffing mixture. Shape it like a ball again and keep in a plate dusted with corn flour.
- Heat oil in a wok, and deep fry all kofta balls till light golden brown in colour. Remove on a tissue paper. Keep aside.
- To make the gravy
- Heat oil in a pan and add black cumin. When it crackles add onion paste, ginger juliennes, green chilli juliennes, and sauté till light brown in colour.
- Add dry spices – turmeric, salt, sugar and cook for 2 minutes. Add almond poppy seed paste and tomato puree; cook on slow fire for 5-7 minutes. Add water in batches as required. Cook till oil separates. Check seasoning and consistency.
- Add fried kofta balls and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finish with butter, cream and garam masala. Give a final mix and remove in a bowl.
- Garnish with grated khoya, almond flakes, cream, saffron drops and coriander sprig
Our Top 4 Main Course Recipes
Prawn Pulao Recipe
Prawns Pulao is the basic rich recipe made often in most of the Indian homes. Prawns are the favorite amongst all of us. A simple and easy prawn pulao makes for a great lunch box option. I hope you enjoy this delicious Prawns Pulao recipe as much as I do. Read More
Malai Kofta Recipe
Malai Kofta Recipe is one of the very popular India vegetarian recipes. Made of paneer and potato balls dunked in delicious gravy or can be served as kababs. What is Malai Kofta? Malai means heavy cream and Koftas are nothing but meatballs. Traditionally Malai kofta curry is made from meatballs instead of paneer or potato Read More
Afghani Tandoori Chicken
Known for a lip-smacking and flavourful dish. Afghani cuisine always has us wanting for more. This recipe of Afghani chicken is no different. Chicken glazed with distinctive ingredients and grilled. Pune is heaven for Tandoori lovers. Read More
Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Dana) Khichdi
Today’s recipe is for those who like Fenugreek (Methi) instead of vegetables in their meals. It is a nutritious meal prepared with Fenugreek seeds and rice (khichdi). It is very easy to make the recipe, even if you are a beginner and don’t know anything about cooking. Read More